Some projects require a Building Permit, while some projects require a Zoning Permit or Sign Permit and a Building Permit.  (Click here for a list of what is required for specific projects).
A Zoning Permit is typically required for sheds, decks, gazebos, detached garages and similar structures.  Only three accessory structures are permitted under the Zoning Code.  Click here for a list of potential accessory structures and information on whether they count towards the permitted maximum of three structures. 
Sign Permit is required for all signs and face changes, regardless of location or size.  A building permit is typically required unless:
  • it is only a face-change with no changes to the cabinet;
  • the sign is painted directly on the building's surface;
  • it is a temporary yard sign; or
  • the sign is not more than 2.5 square feet in area.
Please note that any sign taller than 6' off of finished grade is required to have building plans sealed by a design professional.  Additionally, signs undergoing minor repairs do not need a permit.  We recommend that you contact our building deparment, National Inspection Corporation (888-433-4642), if you have any questions regarding whether your sign project requires a Building Permit.
Generally, a Building Permit is required if you are:
  • enlarging, altering, repairing, moving, demolishing, or changing the occupancy of a structure; or
  • installing a sign; or
  • erecting, installing, enlarging, altering, repairing, removing, converting, or replacing any electrical, gas, mechanical, or plumbing system.