Cemetery Rules & Regulations
- No person shall wantonly or willfully remove, cut or break, or in any manner injure or destroy any tree, shrub or plant, or pick, gather, or in any way injure or destroy, any flower, or any herbage, fruit, or produce of any such tree, shrub or plant within the cemeteries.
- Burial of animals is not permitted.
- No debris shall be deposited in the cemeteries except in designated trash containers.
- Cemeteries will be open from 8 a.m. until 6 p.m. October through March and 8 a.m. until 9 p.m. April through September.
- No planting of flowers, trees, vines or shrubs will be allowed.
- Hanging baskets, fencing, glass jars, and glass vases are prohibited.
- The placing of toys, bottles, vases, glass, figurines, and other decorations on the grass are not permitted.
- If any tree or shrub situated on any lot shall become detrimental to the care and maintenance of the grounds, the City has the right to remove at lot owner's expense.
- The City may remove all flowers, potted plants or wreaths when they become frosted, faded, withered or otherwise unsightly. The City shall not be responsible for any memorials, including plants.
- No more than two (2) bouquets of flowers in a suitable container will be permitted at each grave.
- Artificial flowers and decorations will be restricted to seasonal use. Seasonal artificial decoration in good condition is permitted on monument stones only (or extensions where applicable). This decoration must be securely attached or in permanently installed urns or vases and should not interfere with cemetery maintenance.
- Winter decorations such as natural wreaths and other approved arrangements placed on easels or in other approved containers will be permitted from November 1 to March 1. Winter decorations may be removed if they become unsightly. All winter decorations will be removed beginning March 1.
- Decorations placed upon lots and graves on special holidays during the growing season (Easter, Mother's Day, Memorial Day, Father's Day, etc.) will be removed and discarded after a period of seven (7) days.
- The cemetery will remove funeral flowers after a period of seven (7) days.
- The use of pieces of wire, iron, steel or shepherd's hooks to secure decorations in the grass is prohibited.
- The cemetery personnel reserves the right to remove all floral designs, structures and objects of any kind from the cemetery if deemed necessary.
- Sale of Lot: No owner of a lot may sell to another party. The owner can offer to sell the lot to the City for the original purchase amount.
- Headstones, Markers, Monuments: All monuments must be placed on a concrete foundation prepared by the City. The placement of the monument is subject to the approval of the Director of Public Works or designee. Monuments and its placement shall be at the expense of the lot owner. Monuments shall have a 3 inches flange around the stone.
- Maximum Number of Burials Per Lot: Only one burial vault will be permitted per burial space. Four cremations will be allowed on one burial space. On spaces where there are cremations, markers must be erected so as to permit four names at the head of a normal grave lot.
- Grave Linings: All burials shall be outer lined with a concrete or metal vault, which will furnish solid protection.
- Burials: Orders for interment must be made not less than 36 hours, excluding Saturdays, Sundays, and holidays, in advance of interment. No interment will be accepted for the following days: New Year's Day, Memorial Day, Independence Day, Labor Day, Thanksgiving Day, or Christmas Day, unless prior approval has been received by the Director of Public Works.
- Burial of Indigent Persons: The City may randomly bury within one of its cemeteries those indigent persons for which the City has the duty to assume burial expenses, pursuant to Ohio Revised Code 5101.521.