Rumpke has identified the items below as either acceptable or not acceptable for recycling. This material and additional information can be found on Rumpke's site.
Acceptable Items for Recycling
Rumpke Recycling offers residential customers a convenient, comprehensive recycling program to enhance the recycling effort and reduce the amount of material sent to the landfill.
While the full list of acceptable materials may vary slightly in some locations, residents can typically recycle the following:
- Glass Bottles & Jars (all colors)
- Metal Cans: Aluminum cans, steel cans and lids, empty aerosol cans with the lids and tips removed
- Plastic Bottles (empty, crush, reattach lid): Bottles and jugs that have a small mouth and wider base, such as milk jugs, soda bottles, laundry detergent bottles, water bottles, shampoo bottles and contact solution bottles
- Paper: newspaper, magazines, cardboard, mixed office paper and envelopes, paperboard (cereal boxes), pizza boxes free of food debris and grease, telephone books and catalogs
- Cartons: food and beverage cartons, such as milk, juice, soup, wine, broth and other cartons.
- Mix all items together – no separation required
- Empty all bottles, jugs and cans
- No need to remove labels
- For plastic bottles, empty, crush and reattach lids
- For cartons, remove plastic caps and straws
- NEVER place medical sharps or needles in the recycling
- DON’T use plastic bags
NOT for Recycling
No plastic bags, cassette tapes, bed sheets, hangers, metal chains, garden hoses, batteries, needles, syringes, electronics, polystyrene foam, buckets, butter tubs, car parts, food, yard waste, light bulbs, drinking glasses, ceramics, pots, pans, and scrap metal
To see what happens to your recyclables, check out these videos.
Rumpke offers two different options for recycling containers. One is a small bin without a lid and the other is a large wheeled toter with a lid. Contact Rumpke directly to let them know what size/type of container you would like. Also, make sure you specify that it is a recycling container, as the recycling program is free.
HOLIDAY recycling PICK-UP
There are only 2 days that Rumpke will not pick up trash and recycling: Christmas Day, and New Year's Day. If your normal scheduled pick-up is on either of these holidays, your recycling will be picked up the next day.