I have a high water bill. Can I get an adjustment?

If you had a leak, and the water didn't enter the sanitary sewer, then we can make an adjustment to the sanitary sewer portion of the bill only. 

Examples of this situation would be a broken pipe under the slab or a leak in a basement with a dirt floor. Proof of repair must be provided for a credit to be issued. A request for adjustment can be submitted on the Request for Bill Adjustment form located in the Form Center.

Show All Answers

1. How much is my water bill?
2. When is the next water meter reading?
3. Can you read my water meter before I move?
4. I am a landlord and want my tenants water turned off to evict them. Can you turn off the water?
5. A plumber told me to have my water turned off. Can you send someone out now? Is there a charge?
6. What do I need to do when filling my pool?
7. What do I do when I have water running in my basement by the meter?
8. How can I lower my water bill and save water at home?
9. I have a high water bill. Can I get an adjustment?
10. I have a water leak in my yard. Who will repair it?
11. How do I know if my toilet is leaking?
12. What kind of leaks will affect my bill?
13. Is my water meter read every month?
14. How do I start / stop utility services?